moderated Re: windows 11

JM Casey

Yeah, don’t’ know anyone at all who uses Windows 8…I’m not even sure I ever did, really!

And I understand being irrationally attached to the old ways – I’m a bit like that with some things. I still vastly prefer physical media to streaming, for instance (but I think I can rationalise it quite well actually). And I still don’t use any cloud-ish services (as my friend once said, “there is no cloud, it’s just someone else’s computer”) except sendspace for storing podcast materials for my colleague and I to retreive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: June 26, 2021 01:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: windows 11

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:20 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Windows XP. Was it really that great? Not so much, in my own experience

-
And it wasn't.  It was a vast improvement over Windows 3.1, that's for sure, but Windows 7 (by the time we arrived there) was a vast improvement over XP.

People become irrationally attached to "the way I do things."  And if anyone happens to recognize themselves in that statement I'm not going to apologize for it.  Most of what's in Windows 10 as far as keyboard shortcuts for the things all of us commonly do have been unchanged since the first Windows hit the scene, and many of those date directly from DOS.

The only Windows version that was an absolute tectonic shift from pretty much everything that came before it was Windows 8, and it was an unmitigated disaster in terms of acceptance and adoption.  Windows 10 was the wedding of what we all knew and loved, for the most part, from Windows up through 7 with the few cool features, and there were some, of Windows 8.  There's just nothing to be afraid of for a WinXP or Win7 user in Win10.  The learning curve is very steep and fast indeed (which, by the way, is a good learning curve - a steep learning curve means that you learn lots, very quickly, while a shallow learning curve means you learn little, and often painfully slowly - the popular terminology has it backwards).

           ~ André Gide