moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

Van Lant, Robin

Mark,

I work in the listview if I’m only going in and out of one or two levels, Beyond that, I find the Tree view a better way to actually understand file structure and make faster leaps across primary folders. If you pay attention, you’ll hear JAWS say Level 1 or level 2 and whether the tree branch is expanded, I like to leave things collapsed, only expanding the folder I need to dig into or hitting enter on a branch, then tabbing over to the listview to delve further.  The downside to tree view may be that you don’t see files, just folder, but the same works as a real advantage when just getting to know a new folder.  My manager keeps so many copies of various files.  To understand her folder system, I might use tree view so I’m only arrowing through folder names.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2021 5:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Tips for File Explorer

i didn't realize the question would prompt a big discussion. It will take time to go through it.  To clarify my first question, the task I'm trying to get faster at is moving around the folder hierarchy.  This involves moving the focus to the parent, child, or sibling folders, and assessing where in the file system you are.   File explorer has a tree view and a multi select item view, both of which can support those movements with arrow and shortcut keys.  They have some differences though.  I'm not sure where I should invest my energy when practicing and was hoping for advice of what works for others.

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114