moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

Van Lant, Robin

I tend to stay in the listview for much of my navigation at home, where my file structure is pretty straight forward and I’m usually working in Documents. Here at work, were we have various network folders, One Drive, and the  like, I do use the tree view more often.  Because some of  our network drives are multiple levels and I am accessing a folder deep in the structure, I will often add the folder I need to the Quick Access section, which is at the top of the tree view. Then again, my favorite approach is to save a shortcut to frequently accessed folders onto my desktop. If I name them well, first letter navigation on the desktop helps me jump to folders quickly.  In this case, tree view is typically more efficient. If I don’t open file explorer from a shortcut on my desktop, I use Windows E, then Shift Tab once to the Tree view. Where the tree view becomes critical is when I’m doing a save as or creating a new document and need to navigate to the correct folder,  Also seems like I need to check the full file path in the Save As dialog more frequently lately, as I’ve been inadvertently saving things in the wrong place lately, assuming the save as dialog is defaulting to one place, when it’s actually putting my file in another.  All user error and the treatment is slowing myself down to double check the folder.

It does seem like the File Explore window is more complicated than it needs to be for those of us tabbing through it. I’d love to simplify the view.  Some of the button options are useful for the sighted, but not useful for me. I also struggle when I accidentally open a setting that rattles one with the alphabet somehow. Not sure how to describe it, but guessing is a way of sorting the listview.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 10:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Tips for File Explorer

I don’t’ really understand the first question either. Are you having trouble selecting files?

My favourite explorer thing, which I genuinely am baffled more people don’t do instead of navigating through a familiar folder structure, is to open a window to a folder by hitting windows key + r for “run”, and typing in the path.

For special folders in your user directory, you don’t even need thf ull path

For example, just hit windows + r and type “downloads”, and there you go.