moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I totally understand the visual appeal, especially when you can move items and put them exactly where you want on that imaginary surface, that doesn’t offer an advantage for me.
-
And this is a perfect encapsulation, from "the flip side of the coin," of my oft repeated sentiments:

1.  Sometimes, there is no real and complete substitute for sight.

2.  All of accessibility is a workaround, substituting one sensory modality for another, and the two are in no way able to be 100% equivalent.

What's way more useful if you can't see is often diametrically opposed to what is when you can, and vice versa.  And heaven knows, I have to at least try my best to keep that in mind at all times when working with a screen reader user (and many of whom have taught me "the greater efficiencies for someone who's blind" that I had not previously known).

One of the great rewards, for me, out of my experience as a screen reader tutor has been what I've learned from my students, not just the satisfaction I get from what they've learned from me.

           ~ André Gide