moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

JM Casey

Ah, well..it’s not so much the case, for me, and it gives me the feeling of “hunting around” for something rather than knowing exactly where it is – the latter is a feeling I like to have.

Of course if something is buried ten folders deep I probably wouldn’t type out the whole path, but otherwise, it’s really fast and extremely efficient, I find. Either just opening a folder location, or going directly to a file and having it automatically open in its requisite programme, has improved my windows experience 100%. I don’t use the desktop at all anymore, except for the odd ctrl-alt hotkey (which of course doesn’t require being on the desktop to use). It’s always felt counter-intuitive and while I totally understand the visual appeal, especially when you can move items and put them exactly where you want on that imaginary surface, that doesn’t offer an advantage for me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: June 23, 2021 12:47 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Tips for File Explorer

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM, JM Casey wrote:

My favourite explorer thing, which I genuinely am baffled more people don’t do instead of navigating through a familiar folder structure, is to open a window to a folder by hitting windows key + r for “run”, and typing in the path.

-
Well, all I can say is that you have a better memory, are a better typist, and/or have a far simpler folder structure on your machine than I do.

My file systems are like a collection of filing cabinets in various rooms where the "depth" of those rooms can, on many occasions, be extensive.

And I realize the fact that I can see definitely has a bearing here, as point and click is incredibly quick to drill down in File Explorer.  But unless you happen to have a list of "very frequently accessed folders" that you could cut and paste from for the WinKey+R window, if you're dealing with a complex file system that's likely way, way slower than navigating File Explorer, particularly if typos are taken into account.  For things like Downloads, opening File Explorer and hitting D a couple of times gets you straight to the Desktop and Downloads entries, and the corresponding first letter nav for all the libraries.  It's very fast, far faster for me than typing out even the word "downloads".

           ~ André Gide