moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM, JM Casey wrote:
My favourite explorer thing, which I genuinely am baffled more people don’t do instead of navigating through a familiar folder structure, is to open a window to a folder by hitting windows key + r for “run”, and typing in the path.
-
Well, all I can say is that you have a better memory, are a better typist, and/or have a far simpler folder structure on your machine than I do.

My file systems are like a collection of filing cabinets in various rooms where the "depth" of those rooms can, on many occasions, be extensive.

And I realize the fact that I can see definitely has a bearing here, as point and click is incredibly quick to drill down in File Explorer.  But unless you happen to have a list of "very frequently accessed folders" that you could cut and paste from for the WinKey+R window, if you're dealing with a complex file system that's likely way, way slower than navigating File Explorer, particularly if typos are taken into account.  For things like Downloads, opening File Explorer and hitting D a couple of times gets you straight to the Desktop and Downloads entries, and the corresponding first letter nav for all the libraries.  It's very fast, far faster for me than typing out even the word "downloads".

           ~ André Gide