moderated Re: Find/Replace Formatting in Word

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Kelby,

JAWS don't announces the format in this dialog automatically. Sometimes this can be hard because the format changed here could be from a search and replace round you did before. To find out the format you made either for the find edit box or for the replace edit box you could use the TouchCursor.

This isn't comfortable so I made a JAWS script to get informed about the format being made in one of the two edit boxes by pressing a key. The problem is that Microsoft didn't name the controls in this dialog in a unique way so I had to look for language specific text in this dialog. Since I'm using a German Word version this strings differ from strings in an English version.

If someone here in this list can help out finding this English text strings I can translate my script to the English version. To do so I should know the exact name of the dialog title as well as the text being displayed in front of the format. This could be something like "Format:". Another string I should know is the string for displaying the options. It could be something like "Options:". If someone sighted is here to find this out or someone can use TouchCursor to find this out I can translate the script. Its important to know about lower and upper case.

All the best
Udo

Am 16.06.2021 um 01:03 schrieb kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...>:

Ah, excellent. I tried this, but insert-f did not report the italics in the dialogue, so I didn't know if it worked.

On Jun 15, 2021, at 5:27 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Hi Kelby,

I just tested this in a Word 2019 document. I opened a find and replace dialog by pressing ctrl + h. I then entered the text to search for in the find what text box. In the replace with text box, I typed the text I wanted, highlighted it, and pressed ctrl + I to make it italic and then executed the replace all button by pressing alt + r. All occurrences of the searched text were replaced with the appropriate text which was italicized.

Alan Lemly