moderated Re: JAWSnot reading lines of text with dates in them in WORD and email

Bill White

Hello again, Marty. Here is more information from the JAWS help material about sound schemes, how to activate, change them permanently, or how to temporarily change the sound scheme.

Speech and Sounds Schemes

Speech and Sounds Schemes Group

Use the Speech and Sounds Schemes group to customize how JAWS provides you with different types of information. For example, you can easily configure JAWS

to play an ascending tone when it encounters a check box that is selected, a descending tone for check boxes that are not selected, and say "type here"

every time it encounters an edit field. If you work with documents that contain text in another language, and that text is always bold, you can make JAWS

switch to a specific language when it encounters bolded text. There are many possibilities, depending on your needs.

You can save your speech and sound settings as a scheme. Schemes are lists of Speech Manager rules, saved as .smf files, located in the C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Freedom

Scientific\JAWS\Version Number\Settings\ENU folder. You can create and save several schemes, however, only one scheme is active at a time.

To change speech and sound settings, open the Speech and Sounds Schemes group in Settings Center.

Selecting, Editing, and Creating Schemes

JAWS comes with several schemes by default. The classic scheme sets JAWS to behave as it always has, and is a good starting point. The other schemes use

the Classic scheme as a foundation and add additional information, useful for things such as proofreading documents. Use the Speech and Sounds Manager

to select, edit, save, or create schemes. For example:

list of 4 items

• To make a different scheme active, select it from the scheme list. Press INSERT+T to read the title bar, and JAWS announces the active scheme. To

edit the active scheme,

TAB to and activate the Edit Current Scheme button. After editing a scheme, be sure to save the changes by activating the Save Current Scheme button.

• To save a copy of the current scheme under a different name, activate the Save Current Scheme As button. This creates a copy of the active scheme with

a name you choose, allowing you to make modifications to the new scheme without changing the old one.

• To create a new scheme, activate the Create New Scheme button. This creates a new scheme based on the Classic Scheme settings. To make changes to the

new scheme, select it in the schemes list and activate the Edit Current Scheme button. Refer to the help topic

Edit Scheme Dialog

for more information on creating or modifying a scheme.

• To delete a scheme, select it from the list, then activate the Delete Scheme button. You cannot delete the Classic Scheme.

list end

Tip: You can use training mode to familiarize yourself with how the active scheme uses sounds to provide information. See

Training Mode

below for more information.

Changing Schemes On the Fly

In addition to changing schemes permanently through Settings Center, JAWS offers a way to quickly and temporarily change schemes. To do this, press ALT+INSERT+S,

then select the scheme to use and press ENTER.

Training Mode

Training mode helps you familiarize yourself with how a scheme uses sounds to provide information. When training mode is on, JAWS announces detailed information

for items, states, and attributes as well as the sounds assigned to them in the active scheme. You hear the sound, and then JAWS announces the same information

you hear when using the "Classic" scheme.

Tip: Training mode also announces information for items, states, and attributes that the scheme ignores.

Since the sound assignments made by the scheme's creator may not be immediately obvious, training mode can help you determine the purpose of each sound.

For example, if a scheme uses two different sounds to indicate the state of a check box, you might not be able to tell which sound indicates that the check

box is selected. If training mode is on, JAWS plays the sound and then says, "checked" or "not checked."

To turn training mode on or off:

list of 3 items

1. Press ALT+INSERT+S.

2. To turn training mode on, select "Toggle Speech and Sounds Training Mode On." If you want to turn training mode off, select "Toggle Speech and Sounds

Training Mode Off."

3. Press ENTER.

list end

Bill White