From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 8:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: slightly off topic: over ear headphones recommendations?

I hesitated to post this here initially as it is a Jaws list. However given
the persistence of interest I did a recent review on a pair of cheap
headphones which would meet all these access requirements.
Review
OneOdio Over Ear Headphones Studio Wired Bass Headsets with 50mm Driver

Occasionally a mainstream product emerges which inadvertently meets all
sorts of accessibility needs. The OneOdio Over Ear Headphone certainly do
that, despite being described as D. J> Head pones, and their capacity for
dual input may make them an important affordable access solution in the
workplace.

Ironically access was not really considered when these headphones were
ordered. They were a Christmas present from my daughter who was most
interested in their noise cancelling aspect. The hope was that this would
protect both herself and my wife from the sound of NVDA and Jaws leaking out
whilst they were listening to the Television.
My deaf ears makes my listening volume loud and can disturb others with
leakage.

Certainly these headphones reduce leakage and I now receive requests to
switch back to them if I am using a different pair.

For general usage they are very pleasant wired headphones , with a good
powerful bass sound. they are light if slightly bulky for portable usage.
They are rated as the number 1 Amazon best seller for D. J Headphones.
They are also very reasonably priced at £34.99.
There are however 3 more important access features of these headphones.

The first access plus is the headphone loudness.
Prolonged loud headphone volume is undeniably dangerous for people with
normal hearing. People with normal or mildly impaired hearing should heed
all the warnings. However for people like me with congenital severe deafness
it is essential to find headphones which can pump out volume. Pretty much
every year I end up giving away headphones or earphones which are useless as
they are just too quiet. Without suitable head pones producing sufficient
volume I would be incapable of typing this review, making a pone call or
listening to my Audio books Radio and Music.
Luckily these headphones are well capable of providing the necessary pump.

The second access capability is that they have sufficient headband tension
to enable precise placement adjacent to or over my hearing aids. Lots of
head pones are unusable with hearing aids as it is impossible to prevent
high pitched feedback whistling without this precise placement.

Thirdly and probably most importantly is that these headphones can be used
in dual input mode.
There are 2 input ports for the headphones.
The right ear receives an old style 6.5 mm headphone plug which has a normal
3.5mm plug at the other end of the cable. This cable is partly coiled to
connect easily over distance too computers and other audio devices.
The left ear receives a small 2.5mm plug which via a shorter cable, connects
to a normal 3.5mm plug. This cable includes an inline remote control and mic
for playing and pausing, answering phone calls etc. This shorted cable is
clearly suitable for connecting to any phone capable of receiving wired
headphones.
I have tested this cable with my Google Pixel 4A and my old iPhone SE first
generation via a lightning audio cable adapter. It worked as expected with
both devices. It also worked with my Victor reader Trek and even paused and
played via the remote inline control like the phones.
It received audio from my blind Shell Classic phone and Evo 10 Daisy Player
but not surprisingly these devices did not respond to the inline remote
control.

What I did not immediately appreciate is that it is possible to have both
these input sources simultaneously connected.
So whilst I am typing this review I am also connected to my Blind Shell
Classic phone. I am able to operate the phone, make and receive calls, all
at the same time being able to consult my computer via my screenreader. If I
need to make notes whilst listening to a call this is straightforward .
In the past this would be a struggle for me. For example I used to do
Internet grocery shopping for my Mother in law, in her 90s. This involved me
ringing her but also having to navigate the Sainsburys Web site on my PC. On
several occasions I resorted to wearing 2 paris of headphones, one on top
the other to try and complete this tricky process.
I would also have found these headphones an invaluable aid in work. In those
days I relied on memory, clattering down notes immediately after the call.
More expensive phone and mixing devices were available , I remember using
such a device at the RNIB but these headpones are a far easier, cheaper
option.

I am, in summary, not sure what there is not to like. These are not a blue
tooth option which is a plus for me because of issues i can describe another
day.
Details from the Amazon Website below, and finally a link to the UK Amazon
below that.
David Griffith

OneOdio Over Ear Headphones Studio Wired Bass Headsets with 50mm Driver
Large, 50 millimeter speaker unit drivers combined with neodymium magnets
provides stereo Hi-Fi level sound; powerful bass, clear vocal, and crisp
high tones form perfect balanced sound.
• A standard-sized 3.5mm plug aux cable with mic are included (make it a
headphone with mic. A long, DJ-style 9.8ft cord with 6.35 plug easily
reaches from the TV or stereo to your sofa. They both are completely
detachable, so that you don't need to spend all hours of the day plugged
into your mixer.
• 90° swiveling earcups for single-ear monitoring anytime; self-adjustable
and flexible headband delivers a fatigue-free listening experience that can
last for hours, perfect for mastering and mixing.
• Luxuriously padded ear cushions are specifically designed for monitor
headphones maximum comfort and noise isolation. The headband is adjustable
and stretchable for you to find the desired angle you like to fit in.
• With the sleek design and high-end sound quality, OneOdio headphones are
made for smart phones, all Androids, tablets, mp3 players, and related
devices. OneOdio offers 30 days money back, 24-month guarantee and 24 hours
friendly after service

Link to Amazon page.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneOdio-Headphones-Monitoring-Neodymium-Headsets-Standard-Version/dp/B01MZHAX5S

I post the below from my blog.