From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Παρασκευή, 28 Μαΐου 2021 18:04
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Opening PDFs in Word

Takis,

Believe me, I can understand the appeal, but you've now identified
the plusses and minuses, again. I have said repeatedly, and will always
say, that accessibility (regardless of exactly what type) is a workaround.
You are substituting one sensory modality (audition, in the case of screen
readers) for vision, and when doing so you have to make some choices about
how to organize things that simply don't have to be made for the sensory
modality the thing being accessed was originally aimed at. Shortcomings of
one kind or another are inherent in this process, as no given sensory
modality is 100% directly convertible to another in a way that's as freely
and automatically accessible in the native one.

I can imagine using Word for PDF almost all of the time and
double-checking when you suspect something may be missing, as that's as
close as you're going to get using a conversion method from PDF, not
originally generated by Word (which is most of them). The conversion itself
is noted to be an imperfect process, usually one where formatting only is
lost, though. I'd have to be given specific examples of PDFs where content
loss is suspected and play with them myself to determine as best I can what
has actually occurred. This isn't something easily, or accurately,
described in the abstract.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are
not.

~ André Gide

Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford