moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Marty Hutchings

This is getting old.  Can we just move on?

On 5/21/2021 10:12 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Yes, and every year thousands of people fall for one scam or another and you really wonder how this can happen given how often such things get mentioned in the newspapers and online.

And, at least in my area, on the local TV news, particularly when a specific scam seems to be "making the rounds" in the area.

I have become convinced that some people are utterly clueless and others have a limited capacity of what they can store in their heads and for which they have "easy retrieval access in the wetware."  And I am intentionally ignoring cognitive impairments, which are a thing of their own.  I'm talking strictly about the great masses that are within the first standard deviation to 1.5 standard deviations of the whole population who are neurotypical.

I haven't seen or heard of a scam that doesn't have an entirely familiar form in many years now.  And I'm including phone scams, "Nigerian Prince Type" email scams, I'm in trouble can you send me money scams, etc., etc., etc.   They've all made the rounds, many times, and been reported on many times with the entirely predictable results.  It amazes me that those getting sucked into these things these days don't seem to have even the slightest warning bell go off when something so familiar, well-publicized in the popular press, and virtually identical in form lands in their laps.  It's as though they're completely blank slates.

And it's not just the unsophisticated and uneducated.  Very recently an acquaintance of mine who was a practicing veterinarian for decades and taught vet tech courses at the local community college for decades after that fell for the oldie-but-goodie pop-up saying, "You've got an infected system, call {insert scammers number here}," and for some ungodly reason, he did.  Luckily, he almost instantly had the nagging feeling he shouldn't have done this, and called me.  I told him to call the credit card company and immediately stop payment on the $300 he'd authorized (it hadn't yet posted, and they closed his account and issued a new card) and to shut the computer down immediately and do not use it again, for anything, until a "nuke and pave" or a restore from a full system image backup taken before the incident was done.  In the end he went the "nuke and pave" route of a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10.

No legitimate tech company will ever cold-call you or ever display a pop-up in your web browser saying you're infected.  It really is that simple.  Hang up or close that window/shut down the machine immediately.

           ~ André Gide