moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

If said computer is so unimportant and cheap and you have so many others like it then why not simply stick with Windows 7 on it, then you have iE and you don't have to worry about updates.

----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James English
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 7:52 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

That would be great if I used this computer for anything but browsing the web and a bit of media playback. It's the one that I travel around with, because it's light and cheap and contains no information that I don't have either on another computer or stored on my file server or in the cloud. If, when I travel away for the weekend next week I left the computer on the train, I would have another one, with all the data from this one, available when I get home. The computer doesn't hold any bank information, credit card information or information that would let a stranger find me. This being the case there is no point talking about the security implications of stopping updates to preserve IE, or of continuing to use it as I have covered all the bases.

So if you know a way of disabling windows updates, I would be very happy to know despite the damage that could be done to the computer I don't care about or the data that's backed up.

- James

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM, James English wrote:

Is there something you fear happening to this cheap throwaway
computer that is so terrible? I believe it's possible to stop updates
in windows
10
by disabling the update service, is this no longer the case?
-
I have zero concerns about anything happening to the computer that
could not be reversed, at least as far as having a running computer
goes.  Nor do most who are issuing warnings.  What we worry about is
loss of data, often years worth of data, and often containing things
like family photos, massive music libraries where the source material
is no longer available, etc., etc., etc.    If you do a full system
image backup and separate user backups routinely you come as close to
completely eliminating your exposure on those counts entirely.

I will not discuss any hacks that can be done to prevent any operating
system from receiving updates.  Of course these exist.  The people who
created these OSes in the first place and who are the ones maintaining
them are in the very best position to know what updates are necessary, and why.
No one has ever put it better than John Carrona, a BSOD (Blue Screen
of
Death) expert, now retired due to health issues, and who was in a far
better position to speak definitively about this than I could ever hope to be:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them.
. .  It's important to install *all* available updates. I've been
doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the
confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many
variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full
consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA *usasma (
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/35824/usasma/ )* on
BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/ (
http://www.carrona.org/ )

If someone with his depth of expertise feels that he could not
reliably, "evaluate the full consequences of intsalling/not installing
updates," nor feel confident that he could possibly know all the
variables involved in the need for them . . .

*It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what
you are
not.*

~ André Gide