moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Yes,, and every year thousands of people fall for one scam or another and you really wonder how this can happen given how often such things get mentioned in the newspapers and online. Just read in our little local newspaper (I live in a town of 6,000 in fairly remote Northwestern British Columbia) that our RCMP detachment here received a fraud complaint. The person who I assume was from here received a phone call. The caller said he was a lawyer from Vancouver and he was representing the guy's son. According to him the son had been involved in a car accident and since he was drunk he was now in jail and a $5,000 bail payment was required for him to get out. Then apparently a second guy was patched in who claimed to be the son and who crying and begging asked for the help. How a father won't recognize his own son I don't know, but even without that I am baffled how somebody could fall for this and apparently the victim here send two $5,000 payments to the specified bank account.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 2:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 05:24 PM, Bill White wrote:

Colonial Pipeline

-
If, and I emphasize if, they were still using Windows 7 that's huge mistake number one, at least if they're not one of the companies forking out the big bucks to Microsoft to do ongoing support by custom contract.  There are a few that did this, and it's costing them a king's ransom, as it should.

But, even if that's the case, they also have no excuse for not having a robust backup plan in place.  Ransomware is useless if you have your systems backed up on a cycle that's as frequent as needed based on your exact business circumstances (mostly related to the generation of new information, e.g., orders).  Recovery from backups should be an hours to maybe day long process, at most, and if you do what Colonial said it did, and that was electively shutting down large segments of its network to prevent spread, you should know precisely where those backups need to be recovered to versus "safe zones."

If you're paying ransom, something's very, very wrong.  No business of any size should ever be in a position where a ransomware attack should result in the payment of ransom.  No government should, either.  Both private and public sector entities have been caught with their pants down, and you'd think by now that the cautionary lessons from same would have been learned.

           ~ André Gide