moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

James English

That would be great if I used this computer for anything but browsing
the web and a bit of media playback. It's the one that I travel around
with, because it's light and cheap and contains no information that I
don't have either on another computer or stored on my file server or
in the cloud. If, when I travel away for the weekend next week I left
the computer on the train, I would have another one, with all the data
from this one, available when I get home. The computer doesn't hold
any bank information, credit card information or information that
would let a stranger find me. This being the case there is no point
talking about the security implications of stopping updates to
preserve IE, or of continuing to use it as I have covered all the
bases.

So if you know a way of disabling windows updates, I would be very
happy to know despite the damage that could be done to the computer I
don't care about or the data that's backed up.

- James

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM, James English wrote:

Is there something you fear happening to this cheap throwaway computer
that is so terrible? I believe it's possible to stop updates in windows
10
by disabling the update service, is this no longer the case?
-
I have zero concerns about anything happening to the computer that could not
be reversed, at least as far as having a running computer goes.  Nor do most
who are issuing warnings.  What we worry about is loss of data, often years
worth of data, and often containing things like family photos, massive music
libraries where the source material is no longer available, etc., etc.,
etc.    If you do a full system image backup and separate user backups
routinely you come as close to completely eliminating your exposure on those
counts entirely.

I will not discuss any hacks that can be done to prevent any operating
system from receiving updates.  Of course these exist.  The people who
created these OSes in the first place and who are the ones maintaining them
are in the very best position to know what updates are necessary, and why.
No one has ever put it better than John Carrona, a BSOD (Blue Screen of
Death) expert, now retired due to health issues, and who was in a far better
position to speak definitively about this than I could ever hope to be:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them.
. .  It's important to install *all* available updates. I've been doing this
since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and
choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most
people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing
updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA *usasma (
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/35824/usasma/ )* on
BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/ ( http://www.carrona.org/ )

If someone with his depth of expertise feels that he could not reliably,
"evaluate the full consequences of intsalling/not installing updates," nor
feel confident that he could possibly know all the variables involved in the
need for them . . .

*It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are
not.*

~ André Gide