moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM, James English wrote:
Is there something you fear happening to this cheap throwaway computer that is so terrible? I believe it's possible to stop updates in windows 10 by disabling the update service, is this no longer the case?
-
I have zero concerns about anything happening to the computer that could not be reversed, at least as far as having a running computer goes.  Nor do most who are issuing warnings.  What we worry about is loss of data, often years worth of data, and often containing things like family photos, massive music libraries where the source material is no longer available, etc., etc., etc.    If you do a full system image backup and separate user backups routinely you come as close to completely eliminating your exposure on those counts entirely.

I will not discuss any hacks that can be done to prevent any operating system from receiving updates.  Of course these exist.  The people who created these OSes in the first place and who are the ones maintaining them are in the very best position to know what updates are necessary, and why.  No one has ever put it better than John Carrona, a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) expert, now retired due to health issues, and who was in a far better position to speak definitively about this than I could ever hope to be:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

        ~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

If someone with his depth of expertise feels that he could not reliably, "evaluate the full consequences of intsalling/not installing updates," nor feel confident that he could possibly know all the variables involved in the need for them . . .

           ~ André Gide