moderated Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Barbara Sheinbein

I am using Office 365 and I have not noticed any option to select which browser for this method of reading emails.

My default browser for Windows 10 is Chrome.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 2:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Barbara,

I’m glad you brought up this example. I use the same method for handling lengthy email messages with dozens of links. You would think that this key sequence, alt-h, a, v, would take you to a combo box listing major browsers. However, the only option is IE.

I’m using Outlook 2016. I don’t know if the same limitation applies to Outlook 2019 or the ever-updated Outlook 365.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barbara Sheinbein
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Hi Everyone,

This IE change poses a question for me.  I use other browsers than IE with one exception.  I am using Windows 10 and Office 365.  I use Outlook and from time to time I get email messages usually from a company/organization that I have a problem with.  I want to enter on a specific link and when I do this, I am transferred to a web page not the topic I wanted.  After trying a second time to be sure I have entered where I do want and getting the same results, I go to the next method.  With the email open I pressed alt-h, then a and finally v which opens up in IE and the email is presented in HTML.  I again find my link and enter on it and I am taken to the correct page.  I am assuming this is some accessibility software issue beyond my knowledge.  Smile.  This long  winded explanation leads me to the current thread.  I assume I will still be able to do this as needed, but if there is a straightforward alternative, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 9:18 PM

Hi,

At least two people pointed out on Win10 Forum that they need Internet Explorer, and I advised them to look into IE mode in Microsoft Edge designed for scenarios like accessing web applications that rely on IE and its rendering engine for full functionality.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kylee@...
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 7:15 PM

Um … that means that it will no longer be updated, causing increasing holes in security.

Kylee

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Thursday, 20 May 2021 2:13 PM

The blog said support would end, it did not say it would be removed.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 8:41 PM

Subject: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

Hello All,

Even though this message is not related to JAWS, the impact of this change is so important, and it is so likely to affect quite a few members who still use IE routinely, the information needs to be shared.  My intention is information sharing only, as there's really nothing to discuss.  This is a done deal.

See the article on techcommunity.microsoft.com entitled, Internet Explorer 11 desktop app retirement FAQ.

Those in business settings where they are forced to still use IE for specific sites also should pass this information along to "the powers that be" so that they can be aware of the change that's coming.

You need to start making plans to transition away from IE now, if you have not done so already.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.