Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: IE being removed from Win 10 20H2 and later, effective June 15th 2022

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
There will come a time when Vispero will say, “sorry Windows 7/8.x users, you must now use Windows 10 in order to use JAWS”. I expect this statement will be made as early as 2023.
-
I fully expect this, too.  Right now, unless one is using an old version of JAWS on an unsupported version of Windows (which would be XP or 7, at the moment), if you have backward compatibility in a more recent version of JAWS that's very likely an accident, not by design.

There is always an effort at backward compatibility, usually with the last OS version, and generally only for a relatively short period, 2 years at most, after a given version of Windows goes out of support.  You, as an NVDA developer (and any software developer, not just screen reader developers know this, too), know that it is neither economically feasible nor even reasonable to try to maintain backward compatibility "perpetually."  And why would anyone do that?  Users in institutional settings, business or educational, are what drives the development cycle and those organizations don't stand still.  They keep up with what's in support, from the operating system up through all application programs, if they're being responsible.

That's why I am genuinely appalled that there actually do still exist systems that are so tightly tied to long-dead IE-only conventions.  That's grossly irresponsible on the part of the makers of this stuff.  And for some who were "hanging on by a thread" for some years, this change will put them out of business, and the users of their products will be in a massive lurch.

Hence the reason I've already said that the one and only thing anyone should be doing is transition planning.  If your IE-Only product makers tell you, when you ask, that a non-IE-tied version is in the works prior to June 2022, then you can relax.  If they don't, then it's up to you to find an alternative in the next year, before the carpet is pulled out from under you.  And no one can say that this is a surprise, or at least all the readers here.  And heaven knows any software house had darned well better have someone with their "ear at the door" of Microsoft and listening to what's being said, and acting accordingly.  Whistling past the graveyard won't work here.  You'll land in a grave yourself.

I expect that third-party software support for Windows 8.1 will vanish very quickly once it goes out of support in 2023, and not just by Vispero.

           ~ André Gide