From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique
Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 12:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: more about another jfw list discussion list

At 01:04 PM 5/18/2021, Brian Vogel wrote:
>It is very difficult to get those who don't use screen readers to
>actually separate the concepts of "gain focus on" and "select" and
>"activate" because a single click on something gains you focus on it
>and selects it at a minimum. And in the case of doing so on a link,
>it does all three at one time. You most often get a sense of whether
>activation is involved as an atomic element of that click based on
>what the following instruction states. If it's something like, "Now,
>in the dialog that appears . . .," you can pretty much assume that a
>point and click instruction is an instance where all three actions
>were rolled into one single click.

Very well put. We should also assume that we'll handle selection
using cursoring keys: arrows, tab, shift+tab, etc. So, even if those
keys are never mentioned in instructions, we should try them all
until we actually move where we need to be.

>Another of my "things" is emphasizing that you (any you) must read
>through an instruction set completely before even setting out with the
>first one, and not just in computing. My own partner drives me
>insane because he doesn't do this routinely, and I can't count the
>number of times, when cooking, there's a big oso because an
>ingredient not mentioned in the ingredient list (it happens) isn't in
>the house or he skips something because he never read it through first
>and was in a rush.

Well, a recipe ingredient list should be completely comprehensive,
even if it indicates things such as "salt and pepper to taste" at the end.

>There are too many potential pitfalls in any
>complex instruction set, even those in step-by-step format, for it to
>be a good idea to start and hope you make it through unscathed without
>ever having read them first.

Better still, we need to move away from step-by-step instructions
because steps may vary considerably between user configurations and
*definitely* between Windows editions. just try to navigate to the
Advanced tab under Users and Groups in Windows Home. Not there!
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090