moderated Re: more about another jfw list discussion list

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 01:39 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
Well, a recipe ingredient list should be completely comprehensive, even if it indicates things such as "salt and pepper to taste" at the end.
-
The following is said without a trace of snark at you, but at many recipe writers:  Should be and is are two distinctly different things.

I can think of an example in one of my favorite (and recently published) recipes for shrimp and grits.   For the grits part it gives you the measurements for the grits and the seasonings.  It's not until you get into the bowels of the recipe itself that it states, "Bring 4 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan and add a teaspoon of salt."  Neither the water, how much, or that particular bit of salt, is mentioned elsewhere.

This happens more than you'd think, but even I'll admit that it is an exception, rather than a rule.  But it's why I always read through a full instruction set first as a matter of principle, whether it's a recipe or not.  I'm ashamed to admit that the old saw, "One burned, twice shy," should read something like, "Burned one hundred and twenty five times, just cluing-in," when it comes to my all-to-slow adoption of this as standard practice.  And I should be ashamed, as I have no one to blame but myself for failing to be way quicker on the uptake.  One hundred deserved lashes with a wet noodle!

           ~ André Gide