moderated Re: more about another jfw list discussion list

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Brian we:
Orlando,
I cannot possibly thank you enough, or repeat enough times, what you
said about the "translation" of sighted instructions to screen reader
parlance. In the case of my students (most of whom are formerly
sighted) they already understand all the point and click speak, but I
have the occasional student who has never been able to see, and one of
the first things I teach is that you need to understand point and
click terminology because point is just "gain focus on and selection
of" a given control, object, item in a list, what have you, and that
"click" is activate. Virtually all sighted-focused instruction sets
that are well-written to include the things being pointed to and
clicked on translate directly to screen reader users with simply
knowing the things you first said and I've just repeated.
There are some important caveats, though. Clicking is often how items in list boxes or list views are selected. Sightling instructions tend not to specify in which type of control environment the desired item is located. As such, the true action taken by clicks can be ambiguous. In list views, pointing at items doesn't actually select them; it only brings focus to them, whereas clicking actually selects them.
The waters get murkier when it is unclear if clicking is meant to select an item or open a dropdown menu. I can usually tell the difference by what follows the click instruction. If I hear, "click settings, then Apps and Features," I assume that Settings must be first opened and that Apps&Features is one of its subsections.

Most instruction sets are not going to be written for the blind and screen
reader users, but that doesn't mean that they're not easily usable by
them in a very large number of cases.
Amen!

I will argue with you on keystrokes, though.? A keystroke is the
depression of a key, even way back when I was learning to type on a
manual typewriter. The term is a bit of an anachronism, but is
synonymous with key press.? The Macmillan dictionary, and many
others, too, defines keystroke as: a single action of pressing a key
on a typewriter or computer. The term keystroke never referred to
gliding one's finger(s) lovingly over keys, much like one would the
coat of a beloved pet.

Sorry, but I'm not buying. A simple experiment proves my point. Rather than stroke a child or partner's hair or face, perform the pressing action associated with keyboarding and ask them if they feel stroked or pressured. their answer will immediately clarify all ambiguity. Stroking inherently excludes pressure of any kind.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090