moderated Re: more about another jfw list discussion list

Orlando,

         I cannot possibly thank you enough, or repeat enough times, what you said about the "translation" of sighted instructions to screen reader parlance.  In the case of my students (most of whom are formerly sighted) they already understand all the point and click speak, but I have the occasional student who has never been able to see, and one of the first things I teach is that you need to understand point and click terminology because point is just "gain focus on and selection of" a given control, object, item in a list, what have you, and that "click" is activate.  Virtually all sighted-focused instruction sets that are well-written to include the things being pointed to and clicked on translate directly to screen reader users with simply knowing the things you first said and I've just repeated.  Most instruction sets are not going to be written for the blind and screen reader users, but that doesn't mean that they're not easily usable by them in a very large number of cases.

           I will argue with you on keystrokes, though.  A keystroke is the depression of a key, even way back when I was learning to type on a manual typewriter.  The term is a bit of an anachonism, but is synonymous with key press.  The Macmillan dictionary, and many others, too, defines keystroke as:  a single action of pressing a key on a typewriter or computer.  The term keystroke never referred to gliding one's finger(s) lovingly over keys, much like one would the coat of a beloved pet.

           ~ André Gide