moderated Re: more about another jfw list discussion list

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 08:14 PM 5/17/2021, Larry Wayland wrote:
Why do we even have these forms if every time someone ask a question
they are told to go search on the Internet?
Maybe some people like the contact with other people. Nothing wrong
with that. There is one person on here, and he is either on or has
been on other forms who can't answer a question without belittling
everyone. Too bad too because he is very knowledgeable. Why not just
answer the question and go on and don't worry about all the other stuff.

I know the person in question and have privately advised him that the delete key would introduce unparalleled efficiency into his work flow, plus decrease his annoyance level. That said, there's no sanitized way to say this: Most of us veteran computer users can tell when someone is asking an elementary question because they're truly struggling and feel hopelessly lost, versus someone who's just using these lists as online search alternatives because they're just plain lazy.
Folks, any question covered in JAWS' documentation need not be asked on these lists at least once a week. If yall can read with speech and Braille enough to interact here, you can read JAWS' documentation. If not, there are mp3 tutorials. There's no dearth of basic-to-advanced help for using JAWS, put out by Vispero itself.
All this said, the Socratic method of question&answer dialogue is apparent when folks post questions, get answers, then ask for clarification because they don't understand a concept taken for granted by the person providing instructions. That kind of interaction isn't possible with online searches, unless one poses questions on forums.
But when someone asks, say, how to stop JAWS from announcing new mail arrivals in Outlook, gets precise instructions about Outlook settings and Windows notification settings, then disappears, we can safely assume they were never interested in "human interaction" or Socratic dialogue. They were just using us as human resources, with complete disregard for our names, ages, backgrounds or--most important-our time.
While on this subject of silencing screen reader information, this is unfortunately a very frequent topic posted on these lists; people are always looking for wars to shut JAWS up. Folks, the purpose of a screen reader is to provide us information as it changes in our open windows. A screen reader is not a mere reading machine; using it in this way is not worth JAWS' ridiculously high price. Part of why yall ask such simple questions over and over is that you turn off JAWS speaking information that would help you navigate independently. I'll never understand, for instance, why any blind user would want to turn off control information and not know whether they're in a list box, on a track bar, at a radio button, etc. If the verbiage annoys, we have speech and sound schemes where you can assign sounds to every supported control type and state. So, if you don't want to hear JAWS say "Check box, checked," you can assign a check box sound, then another pair of sounds to represent checked and unchecked states. That's infinitely superior to not knowing what kind of friggin control you're on, or whether you're on a control at all.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090