From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 10:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge Shortcut Keys

Those of us in the know realize that Brian is just being his same and
usual arrogant and pompous and patronizing self. The sad thing is that
he is very helpful, despite himself.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

--Edmund Burke

On 5/15/2021 8:43 PM, Roger Crome wrote:
Brian Vogel wrote

And the fact is, Alan, that you still need to know how to do it and actually do it. And I am insulted, given the amount of material I post that falls into, "I certainly don't have to do it," and, "it takes a darned long time to put it together step-by-step," that insisting that a few extra minutes should be taken before asking questions on a list gets a response like this. It takes you a bit longer, yes. So what? Waiting for replies on a mailing list takes longer.

You, the generic you, have a life situation you must deal with, and in doing so at least attempting to put the least amount of effort on to others, again and again.

I expect any denizen of cyberspace in 2021 to be able to do a basic web search with ease. Being able to search on "Microsoft {insert program here} keyboard shortcuts" is easy, as is reviewing the results from same.
—-
So,you are insulted that someone should challenge what you say because you come across in a way that perhaps you do not intend. How dare someone not understand what you are meaning rather than how you are coming across.

You are correct that you do not have to spend the amount of time you do providing quality feedback on the various lists, and many people appreciate what value you bring. However, that value does not give free reign to spout arrogance that devalues the efforts put forth by other listers. Because, let’s be frank here and admit that every person both sighted and without sight is at a different level of skill and at a different place in their journey of learning. You are just assuming that a person is posting a question because they haven’t tried themselves to search for said material. The fact is that you really don’t know where they are in regard to their journey through blindness, and you certainly do not know the personal perspective of challenges that aren’t as simple as you assume to overcome. You spend a lot of time as an expert and offering solutions, but that doesn’t give you the right to belittle and assume the amount of work someone puts into what they are trying to learn. I have had many situations in my time as a teacher of assistive technology that I have personally witnessed the level of struggle that someone deals with when attempting to navigate something that seems simple to me. It, however, would be wrong to assume that the person is simply not practicing or trying because the variance in skill sets and experience is why I have a job. By that token, lists like this exist for people to crowd source learn and gain support, and if they are belittled every time they voice a question, then the entire purpose of the list is devolved.

That being said, I want to make it clear that you can have no perspective from the blind user point of view as to what is easy. It is one thing to have a visual map to draw on and use yur knowledge to navigate rather than not have any perspective of the placement or breakdown of a web page and try to learn those basic groupings by trial and error. Brian, you are a valuable resource and are appreciated for the value you bring, but perhaps, you should consider the value you attempt to take away from others by using snarky comments that have absolutely no constructive value.

Just my opinion.
Roger