moderated Re: eMail Server

Jeremy Johansen

Hi Glenn

Let me know if you'd like any assistance .  I've hosted sites for over 15 years.
When you register and host your own domain, you have the fun of choosing something creative and also practical.  For instance, my favorite domain that I use mainly for shortcuts is jj2k.com. Then you can create whatever email accounts and aliases you like.  The most creative one I've set up for a friend was AV8R (for the aviator).
When you are considering your domain name, my recommendation is to consider the price of the TLD if you go with anything other than the standard .com/.net for $10/year.  I manage a bunch of domains through a wholesale registrar so that I can pass on the savings. Two of the cheapest right now are .email and .today at $2/year.
Once you choose a domain, the next consideration is whether you just want to hook up email or if you also want to include hosting for a website. That will influence what service is best.
Cheers, Jeremy

On 5/14/2021 9:57 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Oops, sorry, I misread the initial email, I thought you wanted to find out which Outlook.com addresses were available not that you wanted to register your own.

As James said, such custom domains are really no different from those a business would get and there are a gazillion different dot extensions available now, gone are the days when it used to be .com, .net., .org and of course the various country ones like .ca for Canada, .de for "Deutschland" (Germany) etc.

Now you have things like .store, .biz, .TV, .info, .family, .sexy and many more.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:13 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: eMail Server

You buy the lastname.net domain, pay someone to host that domain, and hope they allow you to set up email. Or you become skilled at server maintenance and host it yourself. Yes, either is doable with JAWS.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 13, 2021 8:07 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: eMail Server

Hi,

My ISP will soon be discontinuing eMail service, and although I think that is a mistake on their part, because my eMail account has been the only thing tying me to them, I'm never the less going to have to get a new eMail provider, probably Outlook.com.

But before I definitely go that route, I want to know how someone gets an eMail address like first@..., or another extension.

Hoping I can do this fairly easily.

Glenn

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.