moderated Re: Notification from jaws that there's a problem with an external drive

Glenn / Lenny

It probably checks to see if the used and free space has changed before it sends out the canned message.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 5:00 AM
Subject: Re: Notification from jaws that there's a problem with an external drive

Glen: interestingly, if I put that flash in my old windows 7 laptop machine, I can scan it and when I put it back into windows 10, it's fine.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 12:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Notification from jaws that there's a problem with an external drive

Hi Bill,

Normally this window should be in the foreground, and it can be alt tabbed to if it is not in the foreground.

Also, Windows is not detecting a problem, it only knows that that particular drive was not ejected the last time it was removed, it is just a canned message from Windows.

It's okay to escape out of the window without scanning.

I have tried the scan multiple times, and it never finds a problem.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 11:33 AM

Hi, John. Here's how I get to the place where I can scan and fix the external drive,

1. Plug in the drive.

2. Go to Windows Explorer with WINDOWS key plus E.

3. Find the drive letter that has the problem, but do not press ENTER on the drive letter.

4. Press ALT plus ENTER to open Properties.

5. Press CONTROL plus TAB to navigate to the Tools Tab.

6. TAB to the Error Checking, Check button, and press ENTER.

7. Press ENTER on the Scan and Repair Drive button.

8. Once the drive is scanned and repaired, press ENTER on the Close button. That's it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:30 AM
Subject: Notification from jaws that there's a problem with an external drive

Good morning: I’m using Jaws with Windows 10, when I plug in a flash drive I get a message that "there's a problem with this drive, Scan the drive and fix it." However, I can't get to the place where I can fix it. How can I get to "scan and fix it?"

Thanks.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, May 9, 2021 03:25 PM
Subject: Re: Stopping JAWS from reading flashing clock

Hi Craig,

Does this Simian software have it's own clock?  It sounds like Jaws is capturing another clock since it only does this with the Simian software.  If you open the Settings Center with the Simian software running maybe you can suppress the time announcement by turning off progress bar updates or something.

You could also try switching your speech and sound scheme for this software with the, Insert, Alt + S, keystroke.  Invoke this keystroke with the Simian software running to open your list of speech and sound schemes and try them 1 by 1 to see which might work best for this situation.  The speech and sound schemes can be modified as well.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2021 10:57 AM

Subject: Stopping JAWS from reading flashing clock

Greetings,
I am using JAWS 2019 with Windows 7.  I do some work for a local radio
station, using their Simian broadcast software.  JAWS continuously
reads the updated time on the flashing clock, updating every second,
which prevents me from being able to read the log.  I have tried
cycling through the read modes with insert S.  However, even in
highlighted only mode, it continues to read the updating time, even
though the current song is the only highlighted text.
Any ideas for getting JAWS to stop announcing the updating time?
Thank you very much.
Regards,
Craig Cooper

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.