moderated Re: Multi select list box not allowing multiple selections

James Benstead

It seems crazy to me that institutions don't upgrade because of "security" issues, and when they cite "security" concerns I'm often not convinced that's what the real problem is. I suspect it's just that they have a lot of computers running software that they know works on their current network, and the costs and complexities of upgrading are then far, far greater than, say, a home user who is upgrading from one version of a web browser to another.

I used to write reports for UK Government institutions describing the accommodations they needed to make for their employees, and with a few of those institutions I spent a couple of years prefacing every report with words to the effect of "Windows XP stopped being support in 2014 but you're still running it, and that prevents this employee getting access to the software they need in order to do their job". I don't know when the upgrades were made (or even if they were!) but I was using that boilerplate into the late summer of 2016.

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 03:19, <kylee@...> wrote:

Hi there

Isn't it somewhat ironic that businesses think they're being security savvy when they don't update?

Cheers

Kylee