moderated Re: Multi select list box not allowing multiple selections

John Covici

I don't think you can do what you want using internet explorer, or
other browsers for that matter. Maybe try edge or Chrome and see if
it works in one of those. IE is about dead, I think it goes away in a
couple of months.

On Thu, 13 May 2021 04:06:04 -0400,
James Benstead wrote:

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
I can't see where I've talked about files in a folder -- I've checked the
posts I made and as far as I can tell I've been referring to "items in a
list" throughout. Either way, that's what I'm having problems with: items
in a multi-select list box, in Internet Explorer.

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 21:28, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

I am a bit confused now, you mentioned Internet Explorer and not Edge so
are you trying to select something on a website or are you talking about
files in a folder? If so then this has nothing to do with either IE or Edge.

If you are talking about files then all I can say is to make sure you are
using either the Detailed View or List View, in Windows 10 you can press
Control + Shift + 6 on the number row when you are in a folder to select
the Details view and Control + Shift + 5 on the number row to select just a
file list without file size, date etc.

From: James Benstead [mailto:james.benstead@gmail.com]
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 1:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Apologies, this is in Internet Explorer (yes, Internet Explorer and not
Edge; this PC still runs IE).

I’m expecting things to work as you describe. Using shift to select
adjacent items works fine. Using control and space to select
non-adjacent items doesn’t work.
On 12 May 2021, 18:31 +0100, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca>, wrote:

Can you be more specific? Is this in File Explorer? Just as an
example, in File Explorer if you want to select three files which are
one underneath another you hold the shift key and press down arrow
until they are selected. However, if you want to select file 1 and 3,
you go to the first file, then hold the control key and arrow down
twice to the third file, then you can either let go of control and
press spacebar to select file 3 or you can continue holding the
control key and press space. If all you want to do is to select two
files you can let go and press spacebar, if you plan to select more
files after selecting the second file you may as well continue holding
it, but deven if you do let go and select file 2 by pressing the
spacebar, you can always hold control again and arrow to more files to
select them, the first two files will remain selected. The point is
that unlike when holding shift and arrowing which also selects the
files, with control you typically have to press the spacebar to select
the files after you get there.