moderated Re: Questions about QRead

JM Casey

I bought it a few years ago myself. I mostly just convert to text now and read on a braille display but I still find the programme useful and don't mind having paid a bit for it. Would be alright if it was updated but I don't really see the big deal, unless he was going to put some work into supporting more epub featuresa nd such there's just not much point.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: May 9, 2021 10:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Questions about QRead

It is not the charge ones are objecting too, it is the non-support and no updates one gets or in the case of updates, doesn't get that is the problem. I guess it is the old, "What do you expect for $10?" In these times, if you charge for an app, you are reasonably expected to provide updates. Even a low cost app years ago, after a few years, provided an updated version to keep up with the changing software.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: May 9, 2021 7:09 AM

It's still out there. I've never been charged more than once even though I tried to purchase it for other computers. A message would come up that I already had a license so could just download it.
But the last time I tried was a couple years ago. I kept the downloaded file in case I needed it again, but I don't know if it would work again.
But it works fine on my two machines where it is installed.
The person who used to write that program is no longer working on those now I guess. But the money spent was more than well worth it, and I would have paid ten times that much for that program gladly.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: Sunday, May 9, 2021 9:56 AM

Q-read? Is it still out there? I thought the developer took their money years ago and ran. Half grin. Seriously, I got the Q-cast years ago and after about 2 years of trying to get support with no results or acknowledgement of my queries , I opted for another program. I never did use Q-reader as I was told Fire fox was just as good and at least it got updated regularly. . For all I know the developers of all the Q-programs are sitting on some island enjoying their monetary gain they got from the ... blind, laughing at them. Just so you know, I'm not the only one who got non-support from the developers of the Q-programs. Several others got the same disgraceful results.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: May 8, 2021 11:12 PM
Subject: Questions about QRead

Hi,

I am currently exploring QRead, I have Jaws 2021 on a Windows 10 machine. Here are a couple of questions:

First, what advantages, in your view, does QRead have over Acrobat Reader DC, for reading PDFs? Does it avoid the problem of words running together and JAWS losing focus?

Second, how can one find out the page number of one's current location and get to a specific page number in QRead?

Third, is there a way to access bookmarks made in a PDF, via QRead?

I had rejected it earlier, since it did not allow para-wise navigation with JAWS. However, that seems doable with the demo I downloaded today.

Warmly,
Rahul

--
--
Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.