moderated Re: How do I edit in a cell in Excel 2016

FYI, the "Tell me what you want to do" help search in Excel is really helpful for this sort of thing.  I searched on "edit cell contents" and ran into this in the help.  You are trying to enable [check] the Allow editing directly in cells checkbox:

  1. Click File > Options > Advanced.

    -OR-

    In Excel 2007 only: Click the Microsoft Office Button Office button image , click Excel Options, and then click the Advanced category.

  2. Under Editing options, do one of the following:

    • To enable Edit mode, select the Allow editing directly in cells check box.

    • To disable Edit mode, clear the Allow editing directly in cells check box.

Enter Edit mode

To start working in Edit mode, do one of the following:

  • Double-click the cell that contains the data that you want to edit.

    This starts Edit mode and positions the cursor in the cell in the location that you double-clicked. The cell contents are also displayed in the formula bar.

  • Click the cell that contains the data that you want to edit, and then click anywhere in the formula bar.

    This starts Edit mode and positions the cursor in the formula bar at the location that you clicked.

  • Click the cell that contains the data that you want to edit, and then press F2.

    This starts Edit mode and positions the cursor at the end of the cell contents.

           ~ André Gide