From: "John Covici" <covici@ccs.covici.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2021 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: free space issue questions

If you have a lot of small files, the used space will look smaller
than your actual space. Also, you might have a lot of restore points,
which I think are not counted.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 02:44:11 -0400,
Juan Hernandez wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
HI All,

I know this isn't fully a jaws help question, but I'm hoping someone in it
or computer tech is experienced with this issue.

I have an ssd, which is my main windows 10 boot drive, it is around 475gb in
total space. Windows eexplorer says I got around 45 gb free.

Now, when I select all, and do a shift+f10, and click on properties, it
updates and says that all of those files take up around 250gb.

I know that there are system folders/files that aren't covered in that
report, so I did a chkdsk, and my report is below:

Windows PowerShell

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

Warning: PowerShell detected that you might be using a screen reader and has
disabled PSReadLine for compatibility purposes. If you want to re-enable it,
run 'Import-Module PSReadLine'.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is Windows.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

2541312 file records processed.

File verification completed.

Phase duration (File record verification): 6.33 seconds.

10639 large file records processed.

Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.

0 bad file records processed.

Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 3.00 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

870 reparse records processed.

2923602 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Phase duration (Index verification): 17.60 seconds.

0 unindexed files scanned.

Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 14.47 seconds.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 1.49 milliseconds.

870 reparse records processed.

Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 11.31
milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Security descriptor verification completed.

Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 63.17 milliseconds.

191146 data files processed.

Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 1.47 milliseconds.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

35398624 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Phase duration (USN journal verification): 84.52 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

498980795 KB total disk space.

442392864 KB in 923432 files.

633812 KB in 191147 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

2671931 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

53282188 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

124745198 total allocation units on disk.

13320547 allocation units available on disk.

Total duration: 38.60 seconds (38602 ms).

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Now, the summery at the end goes over my total space, I added all of the
used items; and got

445764143 kb which is around 436gb

My issue is the above summery doesn't account for the nearly 200gb that is
not accounted for in the chkdsk summery, I can't imagine that I have 200gb
of files hidden etc.

Could someone please maybe give me some more pointers of where I can check?
And just for clearning things up I ran disk cleaner, got rid of all cashed
files, recycle bin, etc.

I hope some can bring some light to my issue.

Best,

Juan

How do
you spend it?