Moderated Re: Orbit Reader 40 review? Thoughts?
Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
I put up my own audio description of the Orbit Reader 40 along with my attempt at a recording of the two keyboards being used to compare the sound levels.
You can find them on my web site under the Orbit Research Information page, here:
Orbit Research Information (turner42.com)
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900
Web site: www.turner42.com
From: email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: Orbit Reader 40 review? Thoughts?
This is helpful.
I just find it odd that there seems to be very little out there on this particular model. Even YouTube doesn’t really have anything. Just that one French language video JI linked to. Tons of reviews and postings about the 20 cell displays, but no dice on the 40 cell one but for the generic postings of specs and order form .
From: email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Behalf Of Richard Turner
There has been a lot of discussion about it on the Orbit Reader list of course.
I will write something up for AppleVis at some point soon.
But, starting from physical comparisons.
1. It is no louder while refreshing.
2. The keys are louder than those on the 20.
3. The keys are laid out more like you would expect from other displays, in that the 8 dots are kind of fanned out ergonomically. So unlike the 20, dots 7 and 8 are very comfortable for your little fingers to land on.
4. The space bar is on a slightly angled lip at the front, then the braille cells, then the keyboard.
5. there are cursor routing buttons above each cell.
6. It has a USB slot so you can use a thumb drive for alternate storage.
On my web site, I have samples of the alarm sounds under the heading Orbit Research information.
I really like the display. Like the 20, it is the best feeling braille of any display.
You do have to install a driver to run it with JAWS so it emulates the Vario Ultra 40. Vispero says it is up to Orbit Research to fix the driver ...
But it works great with Jaws, or NVDA.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt