moderated Re: Windows update changing function keys

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 08:59 PM, Cornelius wrote:
I suspect the update which are listed as "firmware update" will restore the BIOS settings to default
-
And you'd be right, at least in your case, since it's happened repeatedly.   BIOS is firmware (which is a somewhat more generic term) so you're absolutely right that when you see an update mentioning firmware on a PC the first thing that should enter your mind is BIOS/UEFI.  But it appears that different BIOS/UEFI systems handle the updates differently.  I haven't yet done one on a system on which the Function Key function reverted to media keys/smart keys, but I have no doubt that those reporting that change are reporting accurately.  There have been quite a few BIOS/firmware updates on the HP and Toshiba machines I'm dealing with in my household, as well as a number of same on client computers, but no one has called me saying their function keys reverted (but, of course most my sighted clients have never changed the media/smart behavior back to straight function keys, but I have on several laptops).

           ~ André Gide