moderated Re: if you were getting a new HP EliteDesk 800 series computer.

Hank William Merchant

Hello back Sieghard,

Just curious, what kind of a price is a fellow looking at say for a HP EliteDesk 800 series with a g5 processor with say 16gb of ram and a 500gb ssd harddrive? Any help you can maybe give me on this would be greatly appreciated! Much thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,

Hank

Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 2:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: if you were getting a new computer.

And for 98% of people even your computer is over-spect. As Brian pointed out, most users get buy with something quite basic and therre is little reason why most people should spend more than $800 or $1,000 on a computer. I personally am very fond of very small form factor Mini PC's for my retail store, I especially like the HP EliteDesk 800 series, I think current is maybe the G4 or G5. These are about 7 inches square and a couple inches thick, they can take I think up to 32 Gb of RAM where 8 or 16 is more than enough for most and they can take a couple of SSD's if you think you need more than one. Again, I think money is better spend on a computer with a 512 Gb SSD and if you want reliable storage invest in a 2or 4 disk NAS like a Synology 218+ or, this is the one I have for my business, a 918+. Put in whichever size drive you need, there is little point in having 12 Tb of storage if all you ever need is 2 or 3 Tb. Don't buy a cruise ship if all you need is a canoe.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Hernandez
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 7:34 AM

Well said!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 7:14 AM

Hi,

I concur with Brian and others who pointed out that it is important to think about purposes of getting a new computer and choose specs based on them. I myself have settled on a ThinkPad for the next laptop due to the reputation of its keyboard, as I sought a writer’s machine with decent specs (not the top of the line).

If I read Jim’s initial request correctly, he wants a machine for music production and related tasks. For these, I think a decent Intel I5 or I7 would suffice (four to six cores), or a cheaper alternative being a mid-range AMD Ryzen (3 or 5 should be enough). Apart from RAM (8 to 16 GB should be enough for music production needs), what’s more important for music professionals is the quality of the sound card (internal sound cards may work, but if one wants to get into heavy music production, add-on cards (PCI Express) or mixers are preferred, and you must factor that when purchasing this particular system).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 6:59 AM

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:39 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

What on earth do you plan on doing with this thing?

-
This is the first and primary question anyone planning to purchase a computer should be asking.  I have seen far too many of my clients who were sold grossly overspecced systems for what they intend to do with them.  You match your tool to your task(s) and give yourself a bit of growing room.

From my business webpage:  "Unless you have very demanding computing needs it's unlikely you need or want a computer with every available bell and whistle."

People, even screen reader users, who are doing little more than web browsing, emailing, and using various typical office suite programs do not need a machine that's tricked out to the degree that it would work for multi-player realtime online gamers or professionals who use 3D modeling or animation software.  And unused processing power and/or memory is just a dead asset and waste of money.

I haven't seen even an intense business user need more than 16GB of RAM, and very few home users will ever benefit from that much, though if they've got it this will give most of them plenty of breathing room in the RAM department.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.