moderated Re: if you were getting a new computer.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:39 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
What on earth do you plan on doing with this thing?
-
This is the first and primary question anyone planning to purchase a computer should be asking.  I have seen far too many of my clients who were sold grossly overspecced systems for what they intend to do with them.  You match your tool to your task(s) and give yourself a bit of growing room.

From my business webpage:  "Unless you have very demanding computing needs it's unlikely you need or want a computer with every available bell and whistle."

People, even screen reader users, who are doing little more than web browsing, emailing, and using various typical office suite programs do not need a machine that's tricked out to the degree that it would work for multi-player realtime online gamers or professionals who use 3D modeling or animation software.  And unused processing power and/or memory is just a dead asset and waste of money.

I haven't seen even an intense business user need more than 16GB of RAM, and very few home users will ever benefit from that much, though if they've got it this will give most of them plenty of breathing room in the RAM department.

           ~ André Gide