moderated Re: Combo box behavior in Outlook 2019 advanced find dialog

Tony

Sometimes you can down arrow quickly.  The list will close but when you reopen it you will be on some entry in the list.  A few frustrating trials may get you where you want to go.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 10:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Combo box behavior in Outlook 2019 advanced find dialog

Bill,

I tried the spacebar on the combo box before posting and it does nothing. I tried a few different keystrokes on the box and alt + down arrow was what opened it has in other programs. The problem Is that you are unable to arrow through what’s in the box in order to select what you want.

Alan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Combo box behavior in Outlook 2019 advanced find dialog

Hi, Alan. Rather than using ALT plus Down Arrow to open the combo box, try just pressing SPACE on the closed combo box to open (expand) it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 1:20 PM
Subject: Combo box behavior in Outlook 2019 advanced find dialog

Hi List,

I’m using Fusion 2020 and am learning a new Outlook 2019 on a new Windows 10 computer. I noted the advanced find keystroke of ctrl + shift + f buried in the Email Clients thread  that seems to have acquired  a life of its own. When you invoke the advance find dialog with the hotkey, you can press alt + k to move to the combo box where you can pick where you want to search.  If starting from the inbox as I usually am, you’ll by default be searching Messages which is preselected in the combo box. After pressing alt + k, I press alt + down arrow to move through the drop-down list that opens. This is where the behavior is unlike anything I’m used to on my Windows 7 computer. Instead of letting me arrow up and down the list and pressing enter to select the one I want, as soon as I press either up or down arrow, the list closes and whichever item was in the arrowed spot is selected. Is there another way to arrow up and down through a combo box list in Outlook 2019 you can share where I can be the one making the selection?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Lemly

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.