Even if there's no drive letter allocation, windows will try to load driver to talk to it. If it does, no point trying too hard as what Bryan said. Just return.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 at 05:36, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:
Randy:

If he is not getting the ascending two-tone when he connects the drive, then Windows is not even recognizing that a device has been connected, therefore, he will not be able to use Disk Manager to partition the drive, let alone format the drive.

Dave
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

I posted the answer to this question way back at the beginning. You need to initialize the drive and format it. The other problem may be a defective disk.

Open disk manager by typing disk manager in the windows search box in the start menu. Now maximize the window and tab to the lower pane and use your jaws cursor to navigate the drives. you will be looking for a drive that says raw or unformatted or something like that. You may need to go back to the PC cursor and arrow down to the bottom of the list and then use the jaws cursor again to read the drives that may not have fit in the window without scrolling. Once you find the drive use the ctrl and arrow keys to find the size of the disk. it should be around 2000MB. right click on it and click on format. If format is not an option you will need to  create a new partition. Just follow the steps in the wizard and leave everything at the default settings. It will partition and format the drive and it will be usable.

On 4/10/2021 9:41 AM, Mike B wrote:

Then he / she could possibly get help using the Microsoft Accessibility website couldn't they?

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.