moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

I thought it was clear I was talking about a drive that for what ever reason didn't get formatted correctly. This has happened to me twice. But if you just assume it is defective you would never know this. I did say if it doesn't show up under disk manager it is probly defective. Also how is giveing directions to a fairly easy procedure a bad thing? Oh well I was just ting to save him the hassle of getting it replaced if he didn't need too. The 2 drives I had to do this to are still working just fine. In my case it was just a software issue not a bad drive.

Randy, don't confuse people with complicated procedures which are not necessary. It is not difficult to Google the drive in question, My Passport Ultra which is made by Western Digital. If you do, one of the first things you read is this:

It’s Windows® 10-ready out of the box to seamlessly deliver plug-and-play storage, while password protection with hardware encryption helps enforce the security of your content.

In fact, I have never bought an external USB drive in the last 10 years or maybe longer which wasn't Plug and Play ready and certainly it did not require partitioning, formatting and all that stuff.