moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

I thought it was clear I was talking about a drive that for what ever reason didn't get formatted correctly. This has happened to me twice. But if you just assume it is defective you would never know this. I did say if it doesn't show up under disk manager it is probly defective. Also how is giveing directions to a fairly easy procedure a bad thing? Oh well I was just ting to save him the hassle of getting it replaced if he didn't need too. The 2 drives I had to do this to are still working just fine. In my case it was just a software issue not a bad drive.

On 4/11/2021 10:13 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Randy, don't confuse people with complicated procedures which are not necessary. It is not difficult to Google the drive in question, My Passport Ultra which is made by Western Digital. If you do, one of the first things you read is this:

It’s Windows® 10-ready out of the box to seamlessly deliver plug-and-play storage, while password protection with hardware encryption helps enforce the security of your content.

In fact, I have never bought an external USB drive in the last 10 years or maybe longer which wasn't Plug and Play ready and certainly it did not require partitioning, formatting and all that stuff.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 10:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Yes, This is disk manager That I memtioned. just typing that or disk manager in the windows search works also.

On 4/9/2021 5:16 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

I'm a big fan of Windows Run commands. You can press the Windows key + r to open a run command window and type diskmgmt.msc in the text box and press enter to bring up a file explorer window with your connected disk drives listed. You can shift F10 on any drive listed to bring up a context menu where you can assign drive letters, etc.

Good luck.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 6:26 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

This is an outside shot, but I'm only suggesting this as something to check.

There's a setting that if turned on hides empty drives.

While in File Explorer press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Change folder and search options.

Control + tab to the View tab / page.

Tab a couple of times to the Advanced setting tree view.

Press the letter, H, 2 times I believe, to land on, Hide empty drives.  If Jaws reports this as, On , press the spacebar to turn it off.

Now tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 4:02 PM

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.