moderated Re: email clients

Debby Hill

Hi James,

If you are using MS365, then I am assuming the email client is Outlook. To do a find press Control + Shift + F. You will land in a field in which you can type a search term. If that is what you are searching for type the term. Then tab and you will be in a combo box where you can choose the search term to be either located in just the subject or in

both the subject and body of the emails.

If you are looking for email that was sent from or sent to someone, tab passed these fields and you will find fields in which to enter either the from or to names.

After you have entered the search terms you want press enter. When the search is complete you will get the  message “find now.” Once you get that message press F6 and you will be in the list of messages it found.

I hope that helps!

Take care and stay safe!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: email clients

Hi Brian and list,

First, let me apologize for being so far behind on reading emails.

Back when I was using Windows Live Mail.  I could search for a particular word in any folder or subfolder by going through the menus/ribbons without any problems.

Now, after using MS365 for around 15 months now, I still can’t figure out how to use the search feature.

I could come up with around 5 or 6 additional problems that I have with MS365 but I don’t want to give myself a headache thinking about them.

I use MS365 because  it is better for me than any thing else that I have tried.  Including Windows mail and Thunderbird and the web mail that Gmail and A T and T offer.

So, I’m not saying that it isn’t the best thing going, but, at least for me, I still can’t do some very basic things like search folders for a certain word or phrase. 

For example, the hot key like Control, Shift, A goes in to advanced search.  That works fine for me.  But following the prompts/understanding the menus from that point to find what Iam looking for just isn’t working for me.  I’ve run in to dead ends with other things that were very easy with WLM.

Regards,

James B 

From : main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 5:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: email clients

James & Alan,

I'm curious to hear some specific examples from you.  I absolutely will not deny the seemingly endless stream of new bells and whistles from Microsoft and others, but with the sole exception of the introduction of the ribbon interface (and even then, only for a subset of commands), I haven't encountered many keyboard shortcuts change at all.  The "old standards" have been the same quite literally for as long as I can remember, and the Windows commands that form the core of many programs (e.g., Save, Save As, the navigation dialog for both, Open, etc.) have been, too.

There is very seldom, in my experience, any shakeup in existing shortcuts secondary to new additions to the UI, whatever those additions may be.  Note well I said seldom, not absolutely never.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

There are many who labor under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

~Brian Vogel

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.