moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Glenn / Lenny

I really haven't been following this thread, but things are slow, so I saw this one.
I'll add that I read where magnetic tapes are still strong, and it is incredible how much they can back up.
They might be sort of slow for file retrieval, but they put SSD drives to shame in terms of amount of storage.
They are quite expensive though.
That is the newer ones that store a lot of data.
In the 90s and post 2K, I would chuckle at the old star trek shows of the future when they mentioned the computer tapes, but now I see that is not so silly.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Brian said: What about 5.25" floppy diskettes?

I figured I didn't need to mention them because they are older than the 3.5 diskettes.
So much for young ...

Richard 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

On Apr 10, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 10:05 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
I have not heard of a disk being sold without formatting since 3.5 inch diskettes
-
You young whippersnapper!   What about 5.25" floppy diskettes?  What about 8" floppy diskettes!

[By the way, you still can get internal drives that are uninitiaized.  But that's a different kettle of fish than any removable media.]

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

There are many who labor under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

~Brian Vogel

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.