moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Randy Barnett

it still happens. Hundreds of thousands of these things come off the automated simply lines every year and they don't all get formatted and initialize correctly so from time to time you do get one that you have to format or initialize. I am sure the number of drives you have experience with is a tiny fraction of a percentage of the drives produced.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 10, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
The other problem may be a defective disk.
-
Which is the far more likely scenario.   I have not seen an external USB backup drive that does not come formatted and ready to go at plug-in for longer than I can remember now.

I'd be returning it for replacement since it is misbehaving out of the box.  And I've dealt with a lot of WD Passport series drives.

            ~Brian Vogel