moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Mike B.

Hi Jaffar,

You're correct, but I was assuming that the external drive in question is a spinning drive.  The person hasn't mentioned anything about hearing any sound at all when plugging it in, so if a sound isn't assigned to the device connect event in a sound scheme I don't think they'll hear a sound when plugging it in.  Also if it's a 3.0 drive and wasn't made to be reverse compatible if plugged into a 2.0 port, then here's another possibility if it was plugged into a 2.0 port of not working, although unlikely.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Hi Mike.  I don't know if his drive is an SSd or a mechanical one, but the SSD drives nowadays are completely silent, so using our ears when we need too is a challenge.  The only thing we can depend on is when Windows itself plays a connected sound to tell us if the disk has been connected and available for use.  Cheers!

On 10/4/2021 10:00 am, Mike B wrote:

When you plug the drive in, can you feel the drive and tell if it's running / spinning?  Have you tried plugging the drive into a different USB port?

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 6:10 PM

That setting was turned on, and I rutned it off according to your instructions;however, I still cannot find my hard disk. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: e shtunë, 10 prill 2021 01:26
To: main@jfw.groups.io

This is an outside shot, but I'm only suggesting this as something to check.

There's a setting that if turned on hides empty drives.

While in File Explorer press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Change folder and search options.

Control + tab to the View tab / page.

Tab a couple of times to the Advanced setting tree view.

Press the letter, H, 2 times I believe, to land on, Hide empty drives.  If Jaws reports this as, On , press the spacebar to turn it off.

Now tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 4:02 PM

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.