moderated Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

Gezim,

I don't think I read your original post about your missing new Passport hard disk. I'm assuming this is an external USB disk drive. Does it have its own power so it must be plugged into an outlet or does it get its power from the computer's USB port? If the former, I'm assuming you've double checked that it's plugged into a working outlet and if it has its own on and off switch that it is powered on? I don't think most external USB drives I've owned with their own power had on and off switches but it never hurts to ask. Can you confirm that the USB port you're plugging the drive into is working by plugging something else into it like a thumb drive? Also, double check the USB cable at both ends to make sure it is solidly connected into the computer and into the drive itself.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 8:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Cannot find my new external hard disk

That setting was turned on, and I rutned it off according to your instructions;however, I still cannot find my hard disk. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Gezim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: e shtunë, 10 prill 2021 01:26
To: main@jfw.groups.io

This is an outside shot, but I'm only suggesting this as something to check.

There's a setting that if turned on hides empty drives.

While in File Explorer press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Change folder and search options.

Control + tab to the View tab / page.

Tab a couple of times to the Advanced setting tree view.

Press the letter, H, 2 times I believe, to land on, Hide empty drives.  If Jaws reports this as, On , press the spacebar to turn it off.

Now tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 4:02 PM

you need to open disk manager. then find your hard drive and see if it needs to have a Drive letter assign to it. but since It's not showing up  it probably needs to be formatted or initialized.

Randy Barnett

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought a My Passport Ultra hard disk, but I cannot see it I my laptop. I am using the latest JAWS version, if that has any relevance.

I hope this is not too off-topic, and I would appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Gezim

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.