moderated Re: email clients

Shan Noyes

Just testing the reply please disregard folks

On Apr 7, 2021, at 12:03 PM, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:

Sieghard,

Thanks for the recommendation. My main issue with Microsoft 365 Personal is being able to control when the component apps are updated. I really don't like my computer or its resident software doing my thinking for me. Is it possible to get Microsoft 365 and turn off automatic app updates?

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 9:47 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: email clients

If cost isn't an issue I recommend Microsoft 365 because as long as you also run the latest version of Jaws you will typically get the best experience. I say typically because I have once or twice experienced situations where an Office update may have cause temporary issues, but since Microsoft Accessibility as well as Jaws usually are made aware of these such issues usually don't last too long before a fix from Microsoft or Jaws addresses the problem.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:04 PM

Brian,

I understand about security updates and their importance and expect it's time to move to a newer version of Microsoft Office. I'm not a fan of subscription models and their continuous updates and believe the best security for one's computer is smart practices for how it's used. Now I just need to decide which perpetual version of Office I can still obtain at a reasonable price.

Alan lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 12:05 AM

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 12:11 AM, Alan Lemly wrote:

don't believe I've received any support from Microsoft during that time including before 10/13/20 when it was still supported.

-
Support is not tech support, or at least that's not what's meant.

Microsoft (or any other software maker) supporting a product means that they do what's necessary to keep it safe to use as circumstances change.  The most important part of software support is security patches.

I am not telling you, or anyone else, what they may or may not choose to do.  But you have not been getting any significant maintenance and patching since last October, and using things like e-mail clients and web browsers that are out of support is using a wide open attack surface as time marches on.

I can't say that I've never, ever used anything that is out-of-support but what I have used does not have any contact with cyberspace.  That's not possible with an email client or web browser.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

There are many who labor under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

~Brian Vogel

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.