moderated Re: email clients

Steve Nutt

Hi Richard,

I agree with you.  All this G then I to go to the Inbox for example, when you can press Control+Shift+I in Outlook.

Brian’s mentioning webmail clients is that typical of sighted people, who don’t look deeply enough into the accessibility of them.

Webmail clients are sometimes accessible, but rarely efficient to use.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 06 April 2021 00:31
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: email clients

Well, if people who are blind are choosing to use a method that requires two to three times as many keystrokes to do the same task, that is certainly their right and I say more power to them.

I just logged into gmail on the web.

Yes, it is far better than it was a few years ago.

But, using a gmail account with Outlook, means when I arrow down my inbox, I hear who it is from, the subject and the date.

That was one keypress.

If I go to the gmail web page, It takes three keystrokes to get from one subject (without knowing the sender) to get to the next message subject. The extra keystrokes are going passed the select check mark and the Star check mark.

So, this is really user preference and I want to be really clear, I am not making any value judgement that one way is better than another.

I like the way I do it is all.

Richard 

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

www.turner42.com

On Apr 5, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

so long as you are accessing the email with an application and not using them through their web site.

-
But my point, along with offering a couple of email client options, is that using webmail is precisely what should be done, and far more often.

The days when webmail was mostly inaccessible is long gone.  There seems to be a great deal of "slow on the uptake" of this fact.  And there are a number of folks who post here, on the NVDA Group, and on the Win10 for Screen Reader Users Group who use Gmail webmail as their primary email access method.  If significant gyrations were necessary on a routine basis that would not be the case.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

There are many who labor under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

~Brian Vogel

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.