moderated Re: Question regarding either of these options.

Dave Durber

Hello there:

At least since Windows 7, Defrag is turned on by default. It is also set by default, to defragany Hard Disk Drive (HDD), once a week. If a Solid State Drive (SSD), is detected, a procedure, called "Retrimming", is occasionally performed. How often the retrimming process is performed on any SSD drives, is not clear. I have 2 SSD Drives in 4 Desktop systems. On what I call my main storage computer, the system drive, has not been  Retrimmed for 32 days, while Drive F, was retrimmed a week ago yesterday, on 22nd March.

HTH

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: Question regarding either of these options.

Windows 10 does do some automatic defragging. How much, when, and so on, I’m not exactly sure. however I have had this computer since 2017 and never needed to run the utility manually on any of my hdds (they all show 100% not fragmented).

And yes, as has been said, don’t defrag an SSD. Not even sure that Windows 10 native defragger will *let* you do that, though some third party utilities might…just don’t do it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: March 29, 2021 01:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question regarding either of these options.

Albert,

You will always want to do a disk cleanup first, then do a defrag.

The disk cleanup will make space that the defrag will write data onto to make a tighter usage of the disk.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:38 PM

Subject: Question regarding either of these options.

Good afternoon everyone, 

Does windows ten, have a utility built into it that will automatically do both a disk defrag, and a disk cleanup on a weekly schedule, or do you have too do it yourself?  If not, which one do you have too do first.  In other words, should I do a disk  defrag first, and then do a disk cleanup second 

Thanks in advance, 

Al   ? Which one comes first.    

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.