moderated Re: Question regarding either of these options.

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, I only reboot mine when it starts stumbling from being on too long, like after a couple months.
I think the same is true for mechanical drives, constant rebooting, with the spinning up and down is hard on them.
I've never had a mechanical HDD die on me, and I never turn them off.
On one of my laptops, I put in a SATA disk drive adapter, and it holds two CF cards.
So that laptop has 64 GB of SSD, using the two CF cards inside.
If I can find some 64 GB CF cards at a decent price, I may swap them out with the 32 GB CF cards.
I may see if I can get an adapter that takes USB drives, I have a couple 128 GB USB thumb drives.
The nice thing about a desktop system is that you can make your own hybrid system.
You can get a relatively small SSD for installing programs and you really wouldn't need more than 32 GB, and you can have a mechanical drive inside as well for your downloads and documents folders, and perhaps your swap file too.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: Question regarding either of these options.

That’s also what my computer guy said, to never ever defragment an SSD but to leave the computer on at all times.

On Mar 29, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Albert. As far as I know, these maintenance procedures must be done manually, unless you schedule them through the task scheduler. If it were me, I would do the disk cleanup, which would delete any unneeded files before defragging. This would result in a tighter defrag. I have also heard that it is unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental to perform a defrag on a SSD drive.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 10:39 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Question regarding either of these options.

Good afternoon everyone, 

Does windows ten, have a utility built into it that will automatically do both a disk defrag, and a disk cleanup on a weekly schedule, or do you have too do it yourself?  If not, which one do you have too do first.  In other words, should I do a disk  defrag first, and then do a disk cleanup second 

Thanks in advance, 

Al   ? Which one comes first.    

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.