moderated Re: Jaws Dictionary annoyance

Dave Durber

Hello everyone

In the last part, of the composer's name "Shostakovich", add the letter e after the letter O, and if you are using Eloquence, you should get Shostakoevich. This alteration in the JAWS Default Dictionary file, may work for other synthesizers as well.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2021 2:32 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws Dictionary annoyance

Are we talking about Shostakovich, the composer? 

If so, the name was misspelled from the beginning.

Eloquence mispronounces it terribly, while Vocalizer Expressive does a fine job.

Eloquence says something like sha stack  a kov vich

But if it is spelled like this, Eloquence gets it pretty close:

Shaustahcoevvich

HTH,

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 6:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws Dictionary annoyance

Hi David,

I just put the name, Shostakovic, into my JDF exactly the way you did along with the replacement, and I then placed a question mark, colon, exclamation mark, a period, a comma and a semicolon after the name and they all read the same.  See below;

Shostakovic.

Shostakovic:

Shostakovic,

Shostakovic?

Shostakovic!

Shostakovic;

Are you putting a space at the beginning or at the end of the name in either the actual or replacement field?  if so, do not!

Also, these are my other settings, Applies to language, All Languages, Speak replacement word using language, Default, and the case sensitive is not checked.

When you exit are you saving your changes?  When I close I use the, Control + S, keystroke then I press, Alt + F4.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:29 PM

Subject: Jaws Dictionary annoyance

There is a constant dictionary annoyance  which I find with Jaws.

So for example Eloquence on Jaws  will mis-pronounce a name like Shostakovic. I amended this in my Jaws dictionary tonight to Shosta co vic to make it approximate to something like the correct pronunciation

However in practice this is not enough, because if Shostakovic is followed by a full stop. A comma, a colon then the    amended pronunciation will not work for me. This means that for every word I want to put in the Jaws dictionary has to be entered at least 4 time.

The first time without any punctuation, the next 3 times with a full stop, a comma, and a colon.

Depending on what I am trying to read I sometimes have to add the word 6  times to the dictionary because you have to also include version of the word with a question mark and exclamation mark and so on.

I assume that there is nothing I can do to avoid this annoyance at this time but surely it is not too great a coding challenge for VFO to make the Jaws pronunciation dictionary just a little more intelligent and smart and less dumb?

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.