moderated Footnotes getting disrupted when image-based PDF converted into word, using ABBYY Fine Reader

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I use ABBYY Fine Reader 14, JAWS 2021. I often have to work with
inaccessible journal articles and the like. I OCR them, and the body
of the result remains fine, but the footnotes get disrupted. As in,
JAWS will say footnote 45, and then suddenly it will say footnote 250,
and then footnote 46. So there is no consistency and uniformity in how
footnotes are presented in the end product.

Is there a way to fix this, and why does this happen?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford