From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: 25 March 2021 23:37
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws Dictionary annoyance

This really isn't an issue that VFO can address, these decisions are made deep in the synthesizer logic. The only thing the dictionary does is that when certain text is encountered specified other text is fed to the synthesizer in its place.

Trying to broaden that so that the program replaces near-miss text with the dictionary entry would be fraught with error.

On 3/25/21, David Griffith <daj.griffith@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a constant dictionary annoyance which I find with Jaws.

So for example Eloquence on Jaws will mis-pronounce a name like
Shostakovic. I amended this in my Jaws dictionary tonight to Shosta co
vic to make it approximate to something like the correct pronunciation

.

However in practice this is not enough, because if Shostakovic is
followed by a full stop. A comma, a colon then the amended
pronunciation will not work for me. This means that for every word I
want to put in the Jaws dictionary has to be entered at least 4 time.

The first time without any punctuation, the next 3 times with a full
stop, a comma, and a colon.

Depending on what I am trying to read I sometimes have to add the word
6 times to the dictionary because you have to also include version of
the word with a question mark and exclamation mark and so on.

I assume that there is nothing I can do to avoid this annoyance at
this time but surely it is not too great a coding challenge for VFO to
make the Jaws pronunciation dictionary just a little more intelligent
and smart and less dumb?

David Griffith

.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10