Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: zoom equipment.

Marty,

I bought one of these USB sound card plug-ins a couple months ago and wonder if you can answer a question.  Currently, if I plug this dongle into the USB port, JAWS and Windows sounds immediately start going through the earbud I’ve attached to the dongle.  The same occurs if I plug a USB headset directly into the USB port.  This has been nice, as it allows me to quickly move to earbuds or the dongle on the fly if I receive a phone call or start a meeting on my computer.  My experience doesn’t align to your steps though, as it sounds like you were expecting me to have to manually route sounds to the USB sound card via JAWS utilities.  I guess I’m trying to sort out in my head, if I start messin with settings as you describe them to separate Windows & JAWS sounds into two different sound cards, Is it relatively easy to do on the fly?  That is, I normally listen to everyting through the laptop speakers.  If I’m on a web-meeting, I want everything to come through my USB earphones with a built in microphone.  If I’m on a webinar and want to multi-task or type notes, I want to separate JAWS and the other sounds so that I can focus more easily.  I just plugged my USB sound card in, then was able to use the JAWS utilities to move JAWS sounds back to the Windows sound card, leaving Windows souns in my earsbuds. That’s the opposite of what I’d want to happen, so I’m guessing I need to find sound settings in Windows to change that default behavior.

Maybe the simplest thing is to hear what your experience is with using a sounds card for on the fly changes.

Robin

JAWS 2021, Windows 10, Office 365.